Whats best for beginners?

Tai chi is a series of gentle physical exercises and stretches. Each posture flows into the next without pause, ensuring that your body is in constant motion.
Claire M

I've always felt that Taijiwuxigong was best for beginners. However I have some older people in my classes who have very blocked ankles. I suspect doing the form may suit them better as there is more movement and turning which helps to open the ankles. Any thoughts?
MarcPrice

Hi Claire.

The problem with the much more mature audiences is memory. My older folks find it harder to remember the complex sequence of different movements in the form, whereas the reps of a TWG daoyin make it into muscle memory much swifter.

However, they also complain about doing TWG daoyins because it doesn't fit with their concept of what 'Tai Chi' is - and because they are older than me, they know best, right?

You might find 'cat walking' helpful - just repeatedly doing the steps of 'earthquake' up and down the room. Or 'ward-off walking', which is the same idea, but using the steps of ward-off left, to ward-off right, to left, to right, etc.
I might also recommend heel daoyin for helping with foot-related issues.

I hope this helps. 😎
Claire M

Hi Mark
Yes I do all these things. Also Penguin which is nice for the ankles. I do find people struggle a bit with the standing still - because they are holding so much tension in the legs - so some movement is good. Spontaneous movement exercises are obviously also great for this - but the older people in my group are at the very early stages of this - just a bit of vibration really. Its the turning movements which I think are good for opening ankles......I know what you mean about remembering the form though - I'm about to start a new form class and the interest seems to be coming more from the older students - so we will see..........